09 December 2011

First snow!

I spent most of my life in Coastal California where the only real season is... fog. Gorgeous, yes, and temperate. But I missed seasons. I love the hot summers, yes at times unbearably hot, heat stroke hot, and I love the daffodils and baby robins in the spring, and the crisp air and colors of fall of this part of the country. Certainly more than I ever liked the fog.

But the winters in the nothernmidwest are... Harsh, in a word. Freezing rain, sub zero temperatures and biting winds harsh. From November until April harsh. S.A.D. harsh, take lots of vitamin D harsh. The one real respite I find in winter is a snowfall. My kids LOVE the snow. Amaya refuses to believe it can be winter or near Christmastime without snow, so when I got up before her this morning to see our first real inch of snow I immediately woke her up. She was out of bed and dressed in her snow clothes before I could blink! Stayed out throwing snowballs at the house and dancing around till she froze, and came in to ask for hot cocoa :) right now she is looking out the bay window singing 'I love snooow, I looooveeee snooooow!'

So it gets you by :) and we bake and celebrate holidays and the ground slowly thaws and spring comes and the world goes round and round!

No comments: