29 August 2009

'Relax and enjoy. You're funny.'

(Click on image to enlarge article)

This is awesome. I think most people I know are pretty understanding that raising kids takes up more time than one might think. It's a good reminder (even for me) that raising kids isn't just about preparing meals or arranging playdates or endless loads of laundry. It really is about shaping a person and teaching them pretty much everything, every second of every day from the moment they enter the world. Once that baby is in your arms you are never 'off', not at 5PM or after 8 hours or even 12. Being a parent means being on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Vacation? Ha. Once you have kids your life is never fully your own again. You will never know when you will be called on to drop everything to administer kisses to boo-boos or rush a toddler to the potty or pick up your teenager from the drunk tank. And this doesn't end at age 3, or 18 even, but until the rest of your natural life.

It's not easy. In fact, raising kids is likely to be the most difficult thing most people take on in their lives. But I am not looking for sympathy. Despite all the hard work and thankless long hours it is undoubtedly worth it. I love being a mom despite the sleepless nights, whiny afternoons, and countless diapers. I actually feel sorry for people like the woman who penned this letter, who have no concept of what it means to give of yourself. Because no matter how much you give to your kids, somehow, you get so much more in return ♥

No comments: