19 February 2009

6 weeks

So it has been almost 6 weeks since Vinh joined our family. Some days are harder than others, but we get by. Baby V only sleeps 2 hour stretches at night (and takes an hour to feed, change, and put back to sleep) so needless to say mom and dad are just a bit tired. We have tried pretty much everything at this point, so hopefully sleep will just improve as time passes!

My typical day goes something like this:
8AM, both kids are up for the day. I grab Amaya some chocolate milk, and maybe a poptart or a banana for breakfast, and we watch PBS while I nurse Vinh. Sometimes I can check my email in bed while he's eating. When he is done, I change diapers and grab myself a bite. Then I do some baby yoga on V, while trying to engage Amaya.
9AM, about an hour after waking V starts fussing and needs a short nap. If he lets me put him down for a few minutes, I shower. I will also try to dress Amaya, but she fights me over it these days, as she is obsesed with her footie PJs and wants to keep them on all day. I am tempted to let her!
10AM, V wakes and eats again. More baby yoga, tummy time, diaper changes. Make sure Amaya isn't getting into too much trouble. I try to run/unload the dishwasher, or move along the laundry. If we need to run errands, this is when we do them.
11ish, I start working on getting lunch together. Vinh naps again for a bit.
12ish, I clean up from lunch and start working on nap time. I try to cram a few last bites into Amaya and then we get into bed and watch some more TV. Vinh usually wakes and eats and goes back to sleep.
1-3ish Both kiddos are usually napping and I try to grab a few winks myself. Lord knows I need it! If I have extra time, I will pump, or do more laundry/dishes/tidying up. If I still have more time, I will zone out to a good trash mag or surf the internet until one or both kids are up.
by 4PM, both kids are up. I try to get something fun together for Amaya- a little outside time, some painting, playtime downstairs, etc. I throw some music on and start getting dinner together. Meanwhile I feed V, convince Amaya to have some sort of snack, change more diapers, etc. Vinh gets fussy and I put him in the babyhawk so I can get some stuff done before Simon gets home.
5PM V naps and I cook. I usually have a beer around this time too. MMMMmmmm, beer.
6PM, Simon comes home, yay! We eat, talk about our days, V wakes and eats, Amaya runs around crazily/almost falls out of her chair while we try to coerce some food into her.
7PM, we clean up, do dishes, walk the dog, etc. Get the kids ready for bathtime.
8PM, bathtime! We get the kids in PJs and try to convince them both they want to sleep. They don't.
9PMish, I give Vinh his last feed of the 'day' and Simon rocks him in the nursery and attempts to get him down for the night. I lay in bed watching TV with Amaya. We will get them both into their own beds sometime before midnight, fingers crossed.
10PM-4AM V will wake every 2-3 hours to eat. Simon will usually administer a bottle at some point, and will help me rock him back to sleep after eating when I need the help. After 4AM, V fusses on and off while sleeping he gets up for the day. Simon leaves for work just after 7AM. We start our day all over again around 8AM.

It is pretty monotonous right now but time passes. I think things will really start falling into place over the next 6 weeks. One can hope right?! We look forward to more sleep at night, and warmer weather, and more energy to devote to one another- right now the kiddos get 110%, leaving -10% for me and Simon. One of these days, we are actually going to take that honeymoon...

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Ay yi yi! Such is life with two... Don't worry though - it *does* get easier - I promise! I found the first 3 months were the hardest.

You're a great mom!